There’s a time each year that all boat owners dread—the coming of the cold season. When those long, warm summer evenings turn short, dark, and cold, it’s time to store your boat for the winter. But, by properly winterizing your boat, it will be ready to go once the warm weather returns, and you’ll be back out on the water sooner than you can say, “Ahoy, matey!” Below you will find several suggestions for winterizing your boat and the things you will want to avoid.
What to Do
There are several steps to winterizing your boat. These include:
- Giving your boat a thorough cleaning, both inside and out.
- Changing the oil and filters.
- Flushing and draining the cooling water.
- Greasing and lubricating all fittings.
- Stabilizing the fuel.
- Removing the battery and storing it.
- Removing all valuables and unnecessary items.
- Waxing the exterior and covering it.
What to Avoid
It’s also important to know which things to avoid. You should never:
- Wait for the weather to turn. The earlier you winterize, the better.
- Trust heat lamps and heaters. These run the risk of malfunction and fire.
- Go cheap. Quality coverings and cleaning products will ensure your boat is properly protected.
- Rush the process. Instead, be thorough. Whether doing the job yourself or hiring a professional, be specific with what needs to be done and communicate that clearly.
The most important thing to remember when storing your boat, especially in the cold months, is everything needs to be dry. When water freezes, it expands, and that expansion can mean serious trouble for boat owners. Water also creates the opportunity for mildew or mold to take hold while you are storing it. You want the best for your boat, so take the time to properly winterize it.
At Gtechniq, we offer quality products to help your boat outlast the cold. We offer a wide variety of products to clean and protect everything from the exterior to the interior. Our Ceramic Fast Coat provides up to six months of protection, and our Interior Cleaner will remove any dirt or grease so that our Fabric Coat can be applied to protect the interior from mold, mildew, or staining.
Let Us Help!
This winter, don’t take any chances. Contact Gtechniq today and let us help your boat outlast the cold. That way, when those warmer days come back around, you’ll be ready to return to the open water!